how to throw things? (and use powder kegs)

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
sh4dow
Apprentice

how to throw things? (and use powder kegs)

Post by sh4dow »

hi,

i've just recently started playing this game and there are some basic gameplay things that do not seem to be covered by the manual...
like how to throw things. it even says in the manual that one could throw stones at switches but not how.
now, i don't imagine you would need a throwing weapons skill to simply throw a stone, would you?

also - how to use powder kegs? it seems to me it wouldn't be the safest thing to smack on them from right beside them as is mentioned in a Q&A (in fact, the game just crashed when i tried this). shooting them isn't an option for my sword fighting character. is there some way of igniting them and retreating?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: how to throw things? (and use powder kegs)

Post by xolotl »

sh4dow wrote:like how to throw things. it even says in the manual that one could throw stones at switches but not how.
I don't remember off the top of my head, actually (and I don't have the games installed on this laptop), but it's one of these:
* Right-click
* Holding down shift and right-clicking
* Holding down shift and left-clicking
* Holding down CTRL and right-or-left-clicking

One of those will do it for you; be sure to have the stone in your primary weapon slot.
now, i don't imagine you would need a throwing weapons skill to simply throw a stone, would you?
Yeah, you'll be fine. If you try to use thrown weapons in combat without the Thrown Weapons skill, you'll encounter some pretty major penalties, but it's fine for tossing things at levers and the like.
also - how to use powder kegs?
They'll blow once they take enough damage, so thrown weapons (rocks), bows, and ranged spells are your best bets. You can certainly strike them right next to yourself, but that's usually a fairly terminal option.
(in fact, the game just crashed when i tried this)
That's odd. Are you using version 1.05?
Ixnatifual
Initiate

Post by Ixnatifual »

sh4dow wrote:hi,
it even says in the manual that one could throw stones at switches but not how.
If you're playing on a PC, equip a thrown weapon (such as a stone) in your main hand, hold down SHIFT and left-click on your target.

Left-clicking automatically attacks hostile things, but with friendly things and inanimate objects you must force the attack using the SHIFT key while left-clicking.
sh4dow wrote:now, i don't imagine you would need a throwing weapons skill to simply throw a stone, would you?
You don't need the throwing weapons skill, although it'll undoubtedly be useful if you're trying to throw stuff at moving targets.
sh4dow wrote: also - how to use powder kegs? it seems to me it wouldn't be the safest thing to smack on them from right beside them as is mentioned in a Q&A (in fact, the game just crashed when i tried this). shooting them isn't an option for my sword fighting character. is there some way of igniting them and retreating?
Throw stuff at them, such as rocks (what I've used so far), using the SHIFT+Click method. You may find it useful not to stand next to it while doing this.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

sh4dow wrote:hi,

also - how to use powder kegs? it seems to me it wouldn't be the safest thing to smack on them from right beside them as is mentioned in a Q&A (in fact, the game just crashed when i tried this). shooting them isn't an option for my sword fighting character. is there some way of igniting them and retreating?
The others have answered the 'how' question. As to kegs..anyone can use any weapon even if they have no skill. They just get a penalty to hit. So equip a few rocks or darts or whatever, step away from the barrel..I'd say at least 3 steps..and throw as directed by using the shift key while targeting the keg. Boom!

Have fun! :D

Oh, don't forget to change back to your weapon of choice before the next battle! :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
sh4dow
Apprentice

Post by sh4dow »

thanks a lot you guys, now i can finally blow shit up safely!! :)

as far as the version i am using is concerned - it is 1.05.
just tried it again and it still does it. i get an error message that has the following title "Windows exception" and this as text: "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION"
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

sh4dow wrote:thanks a lot you guys, now i can finally blow shit up safely!! :)

as far as the version i am using is concerned - it is 1.05.
just tried it again and it still does it. i get an error message that has the following title "Windows exception" and this as text: "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION"
Put your character in the situation just prior to the crash and save the game there. Go to the saved games folder and find the slot for the save (quick save is slot 1). Zip up the folder for that slot and send it to info [at] basiliskgames.com with a description of the error so BW can find what's going on and get it fixed. Provide him with as many details as possible about the error, your system specs, where you bought the game, etc.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.