Help me build a wizard.

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
palendrome
Initiate

Help me build a wizard.

Post by palendrome »

I've had successful warriors, rangers, alchemists, thieves, assassins, good guys, bad guys and jack of all trades but, I've never had a successful wizards, warlocks, sorcerers or mage. Can anyone help me create a pure magic user?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Help me build a wizard.

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

First, keep rerolling stats until you get 14 in both Int and Per, and Wis if you want both kinds of magic. You want a decent Str and Con so that you're not constantly worried about the weight of your gloves, as well. ;-) Emayu make the best mages overall with the +2 Per. Add the point to get your Int to 15 and pump the rest of your starter attribute points into Per. That will maximize your starting mana and help with your mana regeneration. You should start with 85 mana that way, which will be very good for the early going. Maximize your Arcane, Elemental (5) and probably put 5 into Mercantile to help with the cost of spells. That'll leave you with 4 skill points that you can save for your first level-up to raise those skills again. Keep increasing Per on level-ups for a while to maximize your mana gains and mana refresh rate as you go along. Use clothing and rings to up your Intelligence for learning higher level spells (at least early on).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Yer a wizard, Harry!

I agree with most of what Kreador said. The most important things are to take the Druidic axiom and pump Perception like there's no tomorrow. I personally like to rely on just Elemental or Divine until you can get to Port Kuudad and buy 10 ranks in the other. Only pump Intelligence and Wisdom as needed to learn spells, and remember the stat boost items you'll get:

Scholar's Ring x2 (+6 Intelligence)
Xed's Ring (+2 Wisdom)
Warlock's Hat (+3 Wisdom, +3 Intelligence)
Philosopher's Pendant (+3 Wisdom, +3 Intelligence)
Total +12 Intelligence, +8 Wisdom

To learn every spell in the game, you need 42 Intelligence and 46 Wisdom, which means unmodified 30 Intelligence and 38 Wisdom by the end of the game. But there are plenty of spells that you won't miss if you skip them, so I rarely go that high.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Druidic Axiom isn't a good idea, because Talushorn, Hammerlorne and Westwillow are all indoor maps (unless druidic affects only HP regeneration).
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Westwillow is the only place where sleeping can cause problems, but if you go upstairs you can camp safely.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Lord_P wrote:Druidic Axiom isn't a good idea, because Talushorn, Hammerlorne and Westwillow are all indoor maps (unless druidic affects only HP regeneration).
By the time you get there, you'll have enough Perception that it won't matter. It helps a lot in the early game, and you barely notice it in the late game.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Wouldn't Covent's Well be a nuisance with slower mana regen?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Lord_P wrote:Wouldn't Covent's Well be a nuisance with slower mana regen?
A little, maybe, but it's mostly rats down there. The annoying part is regening MP to blow open all those barrels. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I used to wait until I found a Brawler's ring and come back for the barrels and other locked items.
newguy
Pledge

Post by newguy »

Hey there,

I only started playing Eschalon Book II (tried Book I in the past but did not like it, will definitely play it after I'm done with Book II!) a week ago, but with the help of the forum I was able to make a ridiculously overpowered wizard (I am playing on normal difficulty, with food and water, and with items losing durability due to normal wear).

I used the build described here, although I realize some of the info is wrong for Book II as it is written for Book I. Regardless I have never had an issue killing anything and nothing (bar the last boss in Fathamurk).

Story wise I am as far as Port Kuudad, completed every side-quest there and in the earlier areas. I entered Fathamurk on level 12 (didn't really think I will be able to complete it, because I'd read it's for 15 lvl +), was able to complete it and left at lvl 14. The last boss gave me a lot of trouble, and I can honestly say I was only able to kill it because it does not regen HP when I rested.

It feels like mage/healer is a really strong spec, the spells although hard to get, when you have them, make you exceptionally strong.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy playing Eschalon Book II as much as I do!
DragonLord
Initiate

Post by DragonLord »

hello i'm back on.... forums.. coause..

i has got so much intel to use powerfull spells..

but i needed to pass so much journey/nites in back corners off the maps.

->

i think i gonna restart a good mage with PERCEPTION !!!

it was so hard to survive while ang'y/malad.drunky etc...

i just reached the city who they need a pass...

wish i'll get luck this time...

dunno / don't remember how to START IT GOOD/
Raventiger
Pledge

Post by Raventiger »

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I just wanted to say thank you for the advice here. I've just started playing Book 2, I love wizards, and this thread was extremely helpful for me :-).