Bought Windows version on CD - Transferrable?

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Old School Gamer
Initiate

Bought Windows version on CD - Transferrable?

Post by Old School Gamer »

Hi,

I purchased a copy of the game on the windows CD when it released, and I was wondering if this was transferable to the linux version?

I'm finding less and less reasons to boot into XP, just seeking one less :)

On a side note, it's a beautiful thing that most indie games run very well in wine.. with 95% of the big publishers' games not worth playing, it'll be a sweet day when the XP partition gets fried for good.

Viva la digital resistance! 8)

Edit: One other question, are saves transferable from the windows version?
Last edited by Old School Gamer on December 21st, 2007, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vadi
Initiate

Post by Vadi »

:? Basilisk would still have to pay for the creation, packaging and shipping though...
Old School Gamer
Initiate

But perhaps my license key could simply be transferred to the linux version? I paid for the game, and I'm going to hold on to the windows version; he said something about licenses being transferable before I believe. I shouldn't be dinged for spending more in support of indie devs.

I don't mean that I want a linux copy on CD, is this what you thought I'd meant? I'm just asking if my license is transferable to linux even though I got the CD version.
Vadi
Initiate

Post by Vadi »

Oh. Well, per Basilisk,
Also, if you already own the Windows or Mac version and you want to test the full Linux version, email me with your order number. I would like a few knowledgeable Linux people with existing saved games that could be copied over try the full Linux version out and see if everything plays stable later in the game.
I believe the answer would be yes. And yeah, I meant you wanted the linux cd for free, heh.
Old School Gamer
Initiate

Going back and reading my first post I wasn't very clear, I just meant switching my license over to linux, not with a CD. I prefer digital download over hard copies, so I wouldn't request that anyway (I originally purchased with CD mostly in order to contribute as much dough as possible), but how could anyone know that, such is the nature of forums :)
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Off topic but I totally scribbled Basilisk Games on all the white boards in the CS department (Debian based) at the college I work at. I was up there installing a computer and I'm like, no body is here today, time to vandalize all the whiteboards in a wicked good way.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

macdude22....you seriously rock.

:D
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

We're off till the 2nd of January (jobs that give you a free paid week off are great) but I'll take a picture then, if they aren't still up, I'll rewrite them. I suspect many of the folks up there might be conducive to this type of game.
Per
Apprentice

Post by Per »

Why not follow the example of other commercial games and offer all clients for download?. And then I only mean the executable and everything that is platform specific. So that if you buy the windows CD you can still download the linux executable and play the game in linux too. That is for example how Unreal Tournament and Neverwinter Nights works for linux. You can actually download the entire NWN for linux from Biowares homepage, datafiles and everything. The only thing you need is a serial.
Old School Gamer
Initiate

I think that would make sense, you've purchased the game, why not make it available in every OS?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Old School Gamer wrote:I think that would make sense, you've purchased the game, why not make it available in every OS?
This is very, very rare in software licensing. If you buy Photoshop for Windows, you don't get the Mac version for free. In fact, I have probably 4-5 apps on my Windows workstation that I also had to buy the equivalent Mac version of.

There are a few exceptions out there, so it's not unheard of, just uncommon. However, if anyone here really, really wants another license just email me your order number and I will allow you to have one copy of another version.
deckardelectric
Pledge

Multi-platform

Post by deckardelectric »

I must admit it took me a while to decide which version to purchase. I do run both Linux and Windows so I was a bit torn. I went ahead and got the windows version and may take you up on your offer for the extra license.

(However, I would also like to support development for Linux so I may purchase a separate license anyway. As I indicated I'm slow in making a decision ;) )

If I saw a 'bundle' available for sale with a discount on the second version I would have jumped at that though. I would have gladly paid $50 for some sort of windows/linux "bundle"

Just some food for thought. Take it for what it's worth to you...

Great game BTW - good fun.
iKlim
Pledge

Post by iKlim »

deckardelectric
Game for Windows perfectly works in Linux with Wine in OpenGL mode.
deckardelectric
Pledge

Wine info

Post by deckardelectric »

Great. Thanks for the info! It's always nice to know something works in Wine before I fiddle around for half a day only to find out XYZ isn't quite right.

Thanks again.