Cornered by two salamanders in a dungeon

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
sarvadi
Apprentice

Cornered by two salamanders in a dungeon

Post by sarvadi »

I keep getting killed and can't get my self out. I have no healing potion and just waiting there will not raise my health points. Any suggestions?
mark
Apprentice

Post by mark »

You could try quaffing a potion of invisibility and hit the space bar a couple of times.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It might help to know what type of character you are running. Fanged salamanders only have about 10 health so most beginning characters can kill them.

I'm guessing that you can't do much damage. Try looking at the map/route out, turn off your torch and run for the stairs. Use the grid (Tab key) to keep track of them as you flee. This will reduce their chance of hitting so you might get out to return later.
sarvadi
Apprentice

Post by sarvadi »

Thanks all for your responses. I finally gave up and started anew. Now I know better. Next time I go into that silly cellar for that mithril - which by the way still have not found - I will take with me lots of healing potions. See, I'm used to games where if one stands still or sits, one can regenerate their HP and Mana. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying this game.
Sengir
Initiate

Post by Sengir »

Well, you can, but you will have to hit spacebar since this is a turn-based game, not realtime. You could also hit C (camp) to speed up the process, but you'll risk random encounters this way.
Daemian Lucifer
Senior Steward

Post by Daemian Lucifer »

Your health does replenish.It depends on your endurance and on the survival skill(if you have it).Also,if you pick druid,you will gain more health outdoors(but less indoors).
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

And with Divination, you can get healing spells.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
sarvadi
Apprentice

Post by sarvadi »

Thank you all for your replies - wish we could chat like this in-game. I did pick survival skills and my endurance is 15 (yes I am a Druid). Even though, I sat there, and sat there.....and sat there and my hp did not rise.

Oh, oh Jude, do I need to re-start and get Divination? I have alchemy as one of my skills - you mean to say I can't create healing potions with just alchemy without Divination?

Thanks guys!
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

No, you don't need Divination for Alchemy. But if you already have Divination (or get it later) there is a spell you can get that you can use to heal hit points.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
Maelstrom
Steward

Post by Maelstrom »

The Virtuous axiom provides a healing spell that you can use as well.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

actually virtuous provides "the ability to cast blessing even if you don't already have the divination skill". blessing gives a to-hit bonus, but no healing.
Daemian Lucifer
Senior Steward

sarvadi wrote:Thank you all for your replies - wish we could chat like this in-game. I did pick survival skills and my endurance is 15 (yes I am a Druid). Even though, I sat there, and sat there.....and sat there and my hp did not rise.
Well,since its a dungeon,it would take you quite a bit to regenarate.And like stated above,youcannot just leave the game and wait for everything to rise,but have to press space(or walk around)for things to happen.
sarvadi wrote: Oh, oh Jude, do I need to re-start and get Divination? I have alchemy as one of my skills - you mean to say I can't create healing potions with just alchemy without Divination?
Just up that alchemy to two digits and youll do quite fine with potions(mighty fine indeed).
sarvadi
Apprentice

Post by sarvadi »

Doing much better now - almost level 4 and even though I came in Druid with an axiom leaning towards the magical, I've been giving myself a lot of endurance and sword points so I can "smack'em down" face to face - :D

All the Scrolls are soooo expensive! Is this how I also learn how to make potions as well?

I actually accomplished the Amulet quest. Now I have to search for Lilith in the Forest. Still in a fog about the mithril bar - I can't seem to find this one.

Never thought I would enjoy this type of game after WOW - but here I am - 6 hours later!
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

I don't recall the room with the Mythril Bar being that difficult to get to, sarvadi - just remember where the closed grilles are and, every time you hit a new switch, go and see what grille has opened.
Daemian Lucifer
Senior Steward

acoustibop wrote:I don't recall the room with the Mythril Bar being that difficult to get to, sarvadi - just remember where the closed grilles are and, every time you hit a new switch, go and see what grille has opened.
The first time I went in this dungeon,I didnt see the door with the last lever.It is quite hidden in the dark.You always have to look very carefully at the walls in order not to miss a door.

As for alchemy,you can either find the recepies in some books and pieces of paper,or try them out yourself.There is no ingame place where you store known recepies,so write them down.Or check the second page of this forum,there is a thread with all the recepies in book I.