MAC games?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

macdude22 wrote:Neverwinter nights. The Mac versions are out of print but at bioware's site in their FAQ they have a script that will copy the data files from diamond onto your mac. Fantastic game, and at 15 bucks there is no reason to not get diamond.
Can you post the link to the FAQ? I can't find it at Bioware's site. Thanks.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Jude wrote:
macdude22 wrote:Neverwinter nights. The Mac versions are out of print but at bioware's site in their FAQ they have a script that will copy the data files from diamond onto your mac. Fantastic game, and at 15 bucks there is no reason to not get diamond.
Can you post the link to the FAQ? I can't find it at Bioware's site. Thanks.

Jude
http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic ... =0#2648960
http://www.house.org/islandmacguy/Files ... NSTALL.zip

These are not supported by Bioware but are sanctioned by them since Macsoft ceased publishing the Mac versions of the game.
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

Thanks, macdude22!

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Jude wrote: Anyway, here's a list of more of my favorite Mac RPGs and pseudo-RPGs that you may be able to find second-hand or in some obscure online store, which may or may not run on your Mac because they are fairly old (some need OS 9 or under):
Baldur's Gate I & II and expansions
IceWind Dale
Quest for Glory
Gorky 17 (also known as Odium, I think)
Deus Ex
Fallout I & II
NeverWinter Nights and expansions
Diablo
Terminus (space sim with missions, also came with a Linux version)
Realmz
Summoner
Hmm, I might have to try and track some of those down. It seems odd that Intel Macs can run Windows, but are not backward compatible with older Mac software. Are there OS <X emulators available somewhere?

I tried to play Summoner on a PC and it was fun, but awfully unstable. Any chance the Mac version is more solid?
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

It's because the Mac architecture of their processors changed to Intel-based.

I found Summoner to be stable.

Just remember, a lot of those old games were made to run under Mac OS 8 or 9. I believe many of them could run under the built in "Classic" emulation on Power Macs (up through G5 Macs) using OS X 10.4 or lower, but not always well. With the new Intel Macs, you cannot run stuff meant to run under OS 9 or before, but I think there is a built in emulator called Rosetta that will tun earlier OS X apps, but again, maybe not well. You could check for updates at the game company sites. For example, Blizzard has OS X installers and patches for some of its games like Diablo II and Starcraft.

Jude
Last edited by Jude on January 25th, 2008, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jude's Wondrous Universe
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I remember seeing that you can run Basilisk II (no relation to this website) to run older Mac software on Intel based Macs. The link I had isn't there since it's been a year. There are emulators that you can run to make your computer act like an older system.
sarvadi
Apprentice

Post by sarvadi »

Can you be more specific regarding this game. I downloaded the demo and loved it but haven't been able to get the full game. From what I understand, they are releasing NWN2 for the Mac end of month. Would love to get my hands on the original version - which I believe the Demo is. Thanks.
solistus
Apprentice

Post by solistus »

As far as modern mac RPGs go, your best bet is probably Spiderweb Software's many titles. I highly recommend Avernum 5.
sarvadi
Apprentice

Post by sarvadi »

solistus wrote:As far as modern mac RPGs go, your best bet is probably Spiderweb Software's many titles. I highly recommend Avernum 5.
I actually just bought Heroes of Might and Magic V. What a delight and the graphics are pure eye candy! You can download this from their Web Site. Also NWN2 is coming out today I think! Finally! Game makers are jumping onto the Mac wagon!
zanderohm
Initiate

Post by zanderohm »

Also, although technically not an rpg, Battle for Wesnoth is a no frills highly addictive fantasy style game... Lots o hours gone to that one...