Rusted Key, what is this for?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
vengerob
Pledge

Rusted Key, what is this for?

Post by vengerob »

I just finished the game. I loved it, well worth the price!

After finishing, I looked at my inventory and noticed this "Rusted Key" which apparently was never used. I finished all the quests that were given to me unless I missed one somewhere.

Would anyone know or recall where this key was used?

Many thanks.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

That's a good question. Throughout the final 2 months of development many map elements got rearranged (doors moved, locks changed, chest contents altered) and so I honestly don't remember what that goes to, if it goes to anything at all!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

It should also be noted that most doors/chests that have an associated key can still be picked or bashed open resulting in a leftover, unused key.
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

I didn't end up using my Rusted Key because the goblins in the room behind the locked door came charging out after me, opening the door for me in the process.
vengerob
Pledge

Post by vengerob »

Thank you for the great replies. Yes, Krafen, I recall this is what happened to me too.

I wanted to see this for myself again so I whipped out my hex editor and made a super char just to get to the point. :D

Strangely, when I have arrived, this did not happen again as none of the Goblins were inside the locked room.

However, I have tried something different. I have beaten up the guys there with my fist in the intention of making at least one of them flee. As one started to escape, I have chased them towards the locked room. And voila! Yes, he managed to barge into the room before I opened the door for him. Thus keeping my precious Rusted Key. I tried this because I have noticed this special "feature" of NPCs having a special power to open locked doors either when they are chasing you or running away from you.

Screenshot of that scene just for fun. :o

Cal
Apprentice

Post by Cal »

I think I've got seven keys sitting in a barrel in Blackwater...

As I said in a post elsewhere here, I've got an unusual amount of patience. If I come across a locked door, I'll just keep reloading until I pick it... :lol:

Thank you, Burglar Gloves...