Can't change my stats when I level up

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
rboehme
Pledge

Can't change my stats when I level up

Post by rboehme »

A while ago I started a new character in Eschalon. However, when I get to level 2, after clicking the "+" to level up, I can't change my stats at all (click on the arrows and skills does nothing). I've been able to level up in previous games, just not in this one (although I haven't tested it in previous games for some time now).

A tgz of the save game is at:

http://elera.org/download/rfb_slot2_eschalon_b1.tgz

Thanks for the help.

Richard
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Works fine for me, rboehme - no problems.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

It seems BlitzMax has an issue with not responding to some mouse clicks when the system has been up for a while. Reboot your system then load your game, it'll probably work.

Not sure where this bug lies, but I am 99% sure it's not our problem, but rather the compiler's problem.
rboehme
Pledge

Post by rboehme »

I'll try that later and get back to you. FYI, me current uptime is:

rboehme@rfbnew:~/user/work/workspaces$ uptime
23:48:55 up 33 days, 38 min, 4 users, load average: 3.31, 3.22, 3.13
zakon
Pledge

Re: Can't change my stats when I level up

Post by zakon »

rboehme wrote:A while ago I started a new character in Eschalon. However, when I get to level 2, after clicking the "+" to level up, I can't change my stats at all (click on the arrows and skills does nothing). I've been able to level up in previous games, just not in this one (although I haven't tested it in previous games for some time now).
I have the same problem here. Also I can't distribute points even starting new game.

I even tried restart X server, without success.

Usually I don't restart my computer, only when I need install or change hardware. :( :( :( So my uptime now is: 37 days :(

P.S. Game CD arrived today, browsing it now. many thanks :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Well we've been trying to track down the problem and here is our best guess: the internal trimer on a computer starts counting the moment you start it, and the problem is that our game stores the system timer in a 32-bit integer. If the computer has been left on for a long period of time and the system timer is a very large number, the integer rolls over and screws with some of our timing functions. I'm not completely sure how that interferes with mouse and keyboard input, but we are going over the code line-by-line now to track it down.

I am sorry but you will need to reboot your system once a week to not let that happen.
rboehme
Pledge

Post by rboehme »

I hope you get it fixed; rebooting had worked for me, and I'm enjoying the game. I just wish that alchemy reagents, arrows, etc. were much less rare. It's hard to play an alchemist if you can't make enough potions to get you anywhere near through a dungeon.