Hinterland

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
getter77
Senior Steward

Hinterland

Post by getter77 »

http://www.tiltedmill.com/hinterland/

Very interesting up and coming that is an interesting mix of genres thanks to the magic of Roguelike sensibilities working in the shadows. Very fair price all things considered and seems to be coming soonish along with a demo. I especially enjoy the lower end PC specs apparently required for the game to work well. My only concern is finally having to get into this new fangled STEAM thingamajig---but this might as well be what is to be worth it.

Their way of going about things reminds me very much of the Basilisk way...which I believe to be the overall correct one all things considered.
http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=395.0 What I'm trying to accomplish in life.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Re: Hinterland

Post by llew silverhand »

thanks for the link - looks interesting - once i don't have my son sitting on my lap watching the hamster dance on youtube, I'll read more :D
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

This looks interesting to me I will keep an eye on it. I love the art style.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Looks like they're delaying for 2 weeks (was originally scheduled for release today) - definitely looking forward to seeing some more about this game, especially reviews from other folks.
tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

Hinterland is now available on Steam. I'll probably get it soon, right after I see the reviews from real players. :D
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

I'd love to see some reviews. Of course, I'd realy love to have a demo. A demo will pretty much either guarantee that I'll buy a game, or not. I hate spending $$ on an unknown quantity. Prime example...I played Eschalon Book I demo for less than an hour, and purchased it.
tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

Well Steam sometimes does those trial weekends, but I've only seen it for TF2 which they're pushing. Perhaps they'd do it for Hinterland?

The game is what it is: an Action RPG* with some town-building elements. I'm finding it fun and if you search around for the reviews you should get a good picture as to what it is. The combat part is like Dungeon Siege. The town building is cookie-cutter and simplified. Put your more mighty villagers on the outskirts so the raids will meet them first, etc.

But yeah unless there's a demo of it you won't know for sure. :|

* I have a hard time calling anything an RPG that lacks a story. But that's just me.