Can't find Erubor in Shadowmirk

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
max killen
Pledge

Can't find Erubor in Shadowmirk

Post by max killen »

OK I've killed my Brother and am walking around Shadowmirk. I've found Walter; he says there are a lot of puzzles. NOTE: I was in Shadowmirk prior to this at the beginning of the game and have explored it. There is an area where I walk forward and then get pushed backward. There is probably something that I messed up in this area. How do I go up to the 2nd floor? Where is the teleporter?
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Re: Can't find Erubor in Shadowmirk

Post by Evnissyen »

This is just one of those puzzles which, logically speaking, was just way too easy... despite the obvious fact that a little experimentation would've gotten me the answer even if I hadn't been thinking "What would the writer have done?"

...and the subsequent teleportation puzzle ultimately proved nothing more than whittling down options.

When I think of good logic puzzles, I think of the underwater puzzle in The Longest Journey. While this puzzle took a little while to figure out, it was so satisfying when I solved it. I swear I had it solved in no more than 15-20 minutes, but it took some serious thought... and it was all logic-based.

The subsequent puzzle, on the other hand -- the one on the island with the totems and the crab colony -- really did stump me. After maybe an hour and a half trying to figure out the logic behind the symbols and what they referred to and how they were interrelated and how they related to the island and how they should be arranged... I finally gave up and looked up the answer on the Internet. Well... I guess I wasn't smart enough to figure out this one, but at least the game didn't insult my intelligence.

I've said this before, but the puzzles I hate more than any other are random puzzles that cannot be solved through either logic or gained information... like the levers in one of the caves early on, I think it was the bee hives.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Mongolian
Marshall

Post by Mongolian »

I've said this before, but the puzzles I hate more than any other are random puzzles that cannot be solved through either logic or gained information
I love logic puzzles and loathe puzzles that need information that someone said.

PS - Sad Evnissyen you didn't like the bee puzzle with pushing levers cause it was quite logical.
Thoht
Apprentice

Post by Thoht »

Mongolian wrote:PS - Sad Evnissyen you didn't like the bee puzzle with pushing levers cause it was quite logical.
Off-topic: In what way was the lever-pushing-puzzle in the Whistling Cave logical? There's no hinting at what the solution could be, all you can do is either take a guess at what? Like 720(?!) different combinations - or look it up on the Internet. I might've missed something there, but having finished most quests prior to that part, I didn't see how I could possibly have overlooked any crucial information regarding that puzzle. Nor did I stumble upon any logic connected to the solution.

The teleporting puzzles in Shadowmirk weren't that much better to be frank, but at least a bit reminiscent of the various obstacles appearing in the Legend of Zelda series.
The Noid
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by The Noid »

Thoht wrote:
Mongolian wrote:Off-topic: In what way was the lever-pushing-puzzle in the Whistling Cave logical? There's no hinting at what the solution could be, all you can do is either take a guess at what? Like 720(?!) different combinations
Only 64 (2^6) But given that few combinations it seems not very logical to base the security of you hidden base on only 6 levers :)
I also did not find any hints to the solution in the game, so it really was just a matter of trying. It would have been more fun with 10 levers (1024 combinations), and several logic clues to how to set 'em. That would've been more of a puzzle.
Thoht
Apprentice

Post by Thoht »

Way to go... It's been four years since I finished school and I already forgot how to count. :(

Isn't it supposed to be 6*5*4*3*2*1?

I know it's really offtopic but I can't find any of my old books on mathematics. :)
Thoht
Apprentice

Post by Thoht »

I definitely remember a homework assignment related to something about the probability of getting a certain colour of socks in a drawer with x socks, and y different colour settings, there being a red socks, b blue socks and c green socks.

:|
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Thoht wrote:I definitely remember a homework assignment related to something about the probability of getting a certain colour of socks in a drawer with x socks, and y different colour settings, there being a red socks, b blue socks and c green socks.

:|
You're thinking of combinatorics, and it's been a while since I did it, but my recollection is that what you're looking for is (n-1)! -- factorials.

The real point though is to realize that whoever designed it would likely not use a random distribution, as that's hard to remember, but an intentionally apparent random distribution generally ends up evenly spaced, giving you two most likely outcomes. That's why I thought it was a logic puzzle, which could also be solved through trial and error if one didn't get the logic.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Personally I wasn't thinking about them being evenly spaced or anything that complicated, I just applied my knowledge of what I consider a typical pattern for a person to use and that was something like (though visually checking the rock with each lever switch)
Spoiler. Potential... wrote:X O X
O X O
Luckiliy it turned out to be a pattern similar to that one, so I didn't have to guess that much. This obviously is not a tried and true method but sometimes it works.

But think about it from the Thief's point of view ( the one who made the lever switch hidden door in the 1st place ).

He would want a secure chamber that's impassable to none but himself as such he would want the gate to have no clues or a way to easily guess the combination (while having a combination that's easy to remember). Considering this it's actually quite fair to have only 6 levers. But that obviously doesn't make the experience more enjoyable.
The Noid
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by The Noid »

Thoht wrote:Way to go... It's been four years since I finished school and I already forgot how to count. :(
That's no excuse, it's been 14 years since I finished school ;)
Thoht wrote:Isn't it supposed to be 6*5*4*3*2*1?
nope. It's not like drawing marbles from a pot. The levers are independent. The first level has two settings (2), the second lever also has two settings, regardless of the position of the first so together they have four settings (2*2=4). The third lever also has two settings regardless of the other two levers, so that makes 8 (4*2=8).
I guess you can fill in the rest from there :)