How Do I Identify Items Without Spells?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
robert_aronson
Initiate

How Do I Identify Items Without Spells?

Post by robert_aronson »

Hi all. I'm 20 hours into Eschalon, but I still haven't found a way to identify unknown items. Is it a spell only? Because I'm no spellcaster.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: How Do I Identify Items Without Spells?

Post by Unclever title »

I believe the price for identifying an item is half of it's value, so unless you've got a decent amount of points in mercantile you're not going to make money off of identifying it that way and then selling it, but you won't lose money in the process (that is if you don't want the item) and who knows it might just prove to be useful.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

robert_aronson wrote:Hi all. I'm 20 hours into Eschalon, but I still haven't found a way to identify unknown items. Is it a spell only? Because I'm no spellcaster.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There's three ways to ID Unknown items:

1) Non-spellcasters need points in Lore (and some attribute points in Intelligence (I think you just need them in Intelligence, though points in Wisdom may also help with Lore - I've never been sure about that with Lore)). If your Lore (& Intelligence) is high enough, you can ID anything.

2) If you're a Divination Spell caster, there is also a Lore spell.

3) There's a +6 Lore ring out there, if you get farther along in the game, which works to give you Lore points you don't have.
TheBrit
Initiate

Post by TheBrit »

personally I've never tried lore as a "skill" (seems a waste of skill points).

I stick to the lore spell (divination). Most items can be identified with casting at level 3, a couple rquire level 4 and you usually have enough points into divination to make it worthwhile waiting.

If I get items before I'm able to identify them I just stick them in a barrel or chest in Aridell, Bordertown or Blackwater and come back to them later.

Them dang Merchants are big enough rip-off artists anyway without giving them extra coins for identying stuff !!!!!

Just my preference........