I'm diseased!

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Hoser
Initiate

I'm diseased!

Post by Hoser »

I've gotten Dungeon Fever or something like that off of a skeleton I tried to loot. I see that there's a potion for cure disease but I don't have the materials to make it. Will it wear off eventually or should I head back to town and find someone to cure me or a potion to buy?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: I'm diseased!

Post by Randomizer »

You can get cured for money by a priest in Aridell or Blackwater. Potions aren't always available, but you might get lucky. Easiest is to reload if you have a save from just before getting diseased. I never tried to see how long it takes to go away for disease, but have survived poison.

This will teach you to loot dead people. :)
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

I think I remember once a disease wearing off due to time (character couldn't be healed by the priest had no potions and had saved such that I couldn't reload.

However if I did indeed wait it out (pretty sure) I believe it lasted a couple of game days. And by that I mean I slept at the inn in Aridell a few times.

So if you do have to wait it out it should be possible but it WILL last much longer than poison.
Fizzbizzle
Pledge

Post by Fizzbizzle »

Picking up diseases from looting corpses is probably the most annoying thing about Eschalon Book 1. Those "HA! Gotcha!" moments I quickly learned to avoid simply by saving the game before looting anything that looked like it might have disease. Healing is pretty expensive early in the game, and I never seemed to have a potion handy when I needed it. But the most annoying part is that, if you're playing the game for the first time, you don't *know* if there's something important on that corpse or not. All you can tell is that it's a hotspot, but since you don't know whether you can safely skip looting it or not and proceed with the game, you don't really have a choice but to save the game, loot the corpse, and take your chances.
Palathas
Initiate

Post by Palathas »

Easiest way I found to get rid of the Dungeon Fever (- to STR) was to go to Aridell and rent a room for the night then go to Michael for a heal, he changes 50gp if you are fully rested. You could probably camp to full health and mana to achieve the same result and save the extra 15gp for the room, I haven't tried it though.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Palathas wrote:Easiest way I found to get rid of the Dungeon Fever (- to STR) was to go to Aridell and rent a room for the night then go to Michael for a heal, he changes 50gp if you are fully rested. You could probably camp to full health and mana to achieve the same result and save the extra 15gp for the room, I haven't tried it though.
NOW I remember, that's what I ended up doing not sleeping the disease off. My memory didn't like me that day I guess.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Now you tell me. *facepalm* I spent several game days waiting for dungeon fever to wear off before reaching Bordertown and finally using a potion. To be fair I got hit by 3 corpses in a row.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Sorry... :(

Yeah I was trying to wait it out, paid for about four consecutive inn stays and then I gave up and visited the priest, I just forgot about the priest thing. So I guess diseases don't wear off in Book I or if they do I don't have the patience to wait for it.