Avernum 6 is out.

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Avernum 6 is out.

Post by Evnissyen »

http://www.avernum.com/avernum6/index.html

Silly intro music (not that this is important), but the game looks nice. Animation slightly improved. If you've seen the screenshots then you know that the graphics have received a little bit of work, too.

Haven't played much of the game yet, but one of the good aspects is it allows double-wielding for fighters; also there're quickkeys, now (although admittedly there're only four for the spells; still no new quicklots, grr...).

A few new character images, too. As far as Avernum's concerned, it's about time, I think, although it retains most of the old images.

For those who were hoping for walking animation: none of that for A6. Sorry.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Avernum 6 is out.

Post by Randomizer »

Some new features like being able to reprogram keys.

Dual wielding swords is neat. You don't do as much damage per strike as with sword and shield, but the damage adds up with that extra strike using quick action for a chance for a second swing per strike and haste for an extra attack chance per round.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Cool! I am really looking forward to trying it. I'll download the demo later this weekend and give it a spin. Everyone knows I've been left feeling empty after the last few major RPG releases, but Jeff's games are rock steady- you know what you are getting if you've played any one of his games in the last 5 years. I think the graphic updates looks really nice.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dang no windows release until spring. It seems odd that he released Mac version first, there are far more windows users out there aren't there?

I like his games and the improved graphics look pretty good but the lack of walking animations drives me crazy.

I sure hope his next game includes that!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Saxon1974 wrote:Dang no windows release until spring. It seems odd that he released Mac version first, there are far more windows users out there aren't there?

I like his games and the improved graphics look pretty good but the lack of walking animations drives me crazy.

This company supports Mac first and PC second. They've always put out the Mac version first. One of the reasons I like them..even though I can still play PC stuff on my Mac partion for PC's. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

I am going to try the demo after the holidays, and will most likely purchase it (I own copies of the previous games) after that. Still, I am seriously hooked upon Eschalon, and will download and play Book II on the same day release.

---Rush.
Some came to sing, some came to pray
Some came to keep the dark away...
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Saxon1974 wrote:Dang no windows release until spring. It seems odd that he released Mac version first, there are far more windows users out there aren't there?

Jeff is a Mac user from way back, he only ports the games to Windows for the extra cashe. On the plus side most of the bugs are usually worked out by the Windows release.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Cool! I am really looking forward to trying it. I'll download the demo later this weekend and give it a spin. Everyone knows I've been left feeling empty after the last few major RPG releases, but Jeff's games are rock steady- you know what you are getting if you've played any one of his games in the last 5 years. I think the graphic updates looks really nice.

You've played them all... heheh...I'm kinda hoping he decides to make something new, or at least expands the avernum rules a bit....the spell system needs revamping. Because he never really changes the game system it feels like you are playing the same game with a new module.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Okay, been doing the demo most of the day and only part way into it! Phew, there is a lot to do! And I've come to find out save is my best friend. :lol: There are some quests I can't survive yet and get wiped out before you can say, "hit, split, multiply & die". :shock:

I'm now off to a distant city to stop some people hoarding food during this time of the blight on mushrooms.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Rune_74 wrote:You've played them all... heheh...I'm kinda hoping he decides to make something new, or at least expands the avernum rules a bit....the spell system needs revamping. Because he never really changes the game system it feels like you are playing the same game with a new module.
The spell system for Avernum 6 has changed to replace some buffing spells with new ones and tweak others. Fighters get to go back to Exile's dual wielding of weapons.

Next year will see a new game, but Jeff hasn't released any real information about it. So nothing about genre or game engine. His only comment was that when you change the game difficulty to make it harder the fights will really be harder and not just longer because a multiplier is used on all the monster's stats.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

I like the game so far, it's definitely the best Avernum game yet, by far, in just about all ways, I think. And visually it's much more colorful. And... I didn't give the graphics enough credit, before. Jeff did put a lot of work into redrawing all those little objects and they look really nice, now. Much better detail. The animation's a little better, too. I think I mentioned that. Some cool new spell effects... although: I'm never really satisfied with Spiderweb's animation.

And I'm still not sure why he can't put in diagonal walls.

Maybe next game.

Like nearly every Spiderweb fan, I think, I'm really curious to see what he comes up with next year for the new series.

If it's so involved that it takes him two years to make, I'll gladly wait two years for it to come out . . . although I guess he's put himself on a game-a-year schedule to make sure he stays in the black.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

OK, having been playing the Demo of A6 over the holiday weekend.

It's pretty good! There are definitely areas where I still prefer Eschalon over Avernum. But I find Avernum much closer to being a full 'throw-back' to an Ultima IV-type game (e.g. not being able to see things not directly in your line-of-sight; playing with a 'party' of characters (which, I must say, I've never liked as well as "true" single-player games like Eschalon); etc.) which is pretty cool.

Anyway, I've liked the demo enough that I'll very likely pick up the full game over the X-Mas holidays... :D
(At least it'll give me something to tide me over until Book II arrives! ;) )
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

Here's to hoping that Jeff's next project/game, whatever realm it resides within, includes a scenario/adventure builder. Yep...that would be sweet, heh.
---Rush.
Some came to sing, some came to pray
Some came to keep the dark away...
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Rush wrote:Here's to hoping that Jeff's next project/game, whatever realm it resides within, includes a scenario/adventure builder. Yep...that would be sweet, heh.
---Rush.
Highly Unlikely, Blades of Avernum nearly broke the company. It took too long to write and sold far worse than his other games. I don't think he's willing to risk it again. Though A6 sounds like it's selling better than anything he's made before so it's possible he'll have enough of a cushion to be comfortable branching out again.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Just a quick note..

Got my Spiderweb newsletter this morning and it said that A6 will be out for the PC March 2010. Plenty of time to search the couch cushions for cash. :D