Inaccessible (?) room in house in Blackwater

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Threlkish
Initiate

Inaccessible (?) room in house in Blackwater

Post by Threlkish »

New poster here. I've been looking through the threads, but haven't seen this issue brought up, so I thought I'd raise it.

There is a room in a house in Blackwater which does not appear to have an entrance. It's near the gate on the southeast side of town (the gate with the town's quick-travel touchstone). If you take the path into town from that gate (heading northwest), there's a house to your right--I'm pretty sure it's the first building on that side of the street once you enter through the town's gate. You can enter the house from the path, but there's a wall dividing the house into two rooms, and there doesn't appear to be a door linking the two halves of the house.

I've wandered all around the outside of the house checking for secret doors. Have I missed something? Obviously this isn't linked to any quests, but there's a cabinet in the inaccessible room that's just begging to be opened.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: Inaccessible (?) room in house in Blackwater

Post by Unclever title »

Have you tried looking inside the house for secret doors? You may have to check some things you would not normally check.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Try slowly moving your mouse around over the objects you CAN get to. There might be something useful. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

Remember anything that you are able to interact with will highlight with your cursor.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Look for a hidden lever inside something in the first room...
Threlkish
Initiate

Post by Threlkish »

Ah, that's done it. Thank you all for the replies. I was under the impression that I'd already examined everything in the first room, but obviously my search wasn't complete enough. Thanks again!
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

Glad you figured it out. While exploring, hover your cursor over everything! You don't want to miss out on anything, sometimes, if your perception is high enough, even walls or rocks will light up.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

AK_Marty wrote:Glad you figured it out. While exploring, hover your cursor over everything! You don't want to miss out on anything, sometimes, if your perception is high enough, even walls or rocks will light up.
And don't forget your old pal Spot Hidden! :mrgreen:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

King_ov_Death wrote:And don't forget your old pal Spot Hidden! :mrgreen:
Yeah, Spot Hidden is a tricky one.

If you're an experienced player, you probably don't need it, and putting any skill points into it is probably a waste - for players like that, you might as well wait until you can get your hands on the Spot Hidden +6 ring (Ring of the Hawk). (And ditto a skill like Lore.)

But if you're a first time player... well, you probably are going to need it! Which means you're probably going to have to place precious start-up skill points into Spot Hidden!

I'm kind of debating with myself about this point in my first Book II playthrough - first time through Book II, I'm probably going to start out my character with Level 1 in both Spot Hidden and Cartography. That'd be a waste of skill points if you know what you're doing; but I think playing through Eschalon the first time without those skills is just too tough... :?
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

IJBall wrote:

If you're an experienced player, you probably don't need it, and putting any skill points into it is probably a waste - for players like that, you might as well wait until you can get your hands on the Spot Hidden +6 ring (Ring of the Hawk). (And ditto a skill like Lore.)

But if you're a first time player... well, you probably are going to need it! Which means you're probably going to have to place precious start-up skill points into Spot Hidden!

I'm kind of debating with myself about this point in my first Book II playthrough - first time through Book II, I'm probably going to start out my character with Level 1 in both Spot Hidden and Cartography. That'd be a waste of skill points if you know what you're doing; but I think playing through Eschalon the first time without those skills is just too tough... :?
Well, I'm gonna put some points into Cartography too: all my time playing Eschalon made me remember most maps pretty well, and when I got lost I had the "Mapping Eschalon" topic. Now I have to start all over...
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

IJBall wrote:

Hmm... I'm not sure how I feel about that. With my first time playing Book I, I didn't put any points into Cartography (until I did the Sextant Quest) or Spot hidden, and I didn't feel like I was missing out on a whole bunch. I don't think the game would be any more difficult without them, especially if there's books or trainers to be had in Book II. You just might miss out on some cool loot. :mrgreen:

Of course, my first character in Book I was more of a "beta" character... I made a toon, played him for a few levels to see how he worked, then scrapped and re-rolled something a little more efficient.

Plus, keep in mind that Spot Hidden isn't solely skill based, but stat based as well. So if you're a mage/priest-type, you might not need to invest the skill points to still be good a spotting hidden items.

My biggest problem with Cartography is that when I have it, I tend to pay more attention to the map when I'm running around than the actual game window. >.<
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

CrazyBernie wrote:
IJBall wrote:I'm kind of debating with myself about this point in my first Book II playthrough - first time through Book II, I'm probably going to start out my character with Level 1 in both Spot Hidden and Cartography. That'd be a waste of skill points if you know what you're doing; but I think playing through Eschalon the first time without those skills is just too tough... :?
Hmm... I'm not sure how I feel about that. With my first time playing Book I, I didn't put any points into Cartography (until I did the Sextant Quest) or Spot hidden, and I didn't feel like I was missing out on a whole bunch. I don't think the game would be any more difficult without them, especially if there's books or trainers to be had in Book II. You just might miss out on some cool loot. :mrgreen:

My biggest problem with Cartography is that when I have it, I tend to pay more attention to the map when I'm running around than the actual game window. >.<
I need Cartography for dungeons! :oops:

I know it sounds stupid, but on one of my later playthroughs, I skipped Cartography entirely (I think I was trying to save coins or something...), and I actually got lost in the Elderhollow wine cellar! :shock: :roll: (...or maybe it was Eversleep... I don't remember...)

So, for me personally, I want Cartography in my starting Book II character mostly so I can keep track of myself when I get into dungeons and such... :wink:
CrazyBernie wrote:Plus, keep in mind that Spot Hidden isn't solely skill based, but stat based as well. So if you're a mage/priest-type, you might not need to invest the skill points to still be good a spotting hidden items.
This, however, is very true.

Because I always play Maxed-out PER on my spellcasting characters, I never need Spot Hidden, as my PER=40 spellcasters can always find the hidden nooks and crannies. :D

The thing is, though, I'm planning on playing Book II first time through with a Fighter focus, and PER is likely to be getting short shrift from me for that character... :? :twisted: