Unable to deal with known issue: man on rack

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
lparkh
Initiate

Unable to deal with known issue: man on rack

Post by lparkh »

So I've run into the known issue:
Known Issue: The narrative text mentions someone hanging from a rack in Vela. There is nobody there.

And cannot recover via save game. So the solution says to go to Shadowmere and talk to someone there. But when I go over there there is simply a locked door and a switch on the other side that I can't get out. So I am very stuck? Frustrating since this is apparently a bug.
Please advise. Must be missing something about how to get access to shadowmere...
lparkh
Initiate

Re: Unable to deal with known issue: man on rack

Post by lparkh »

OK dug around a bit and found out how to get into shadowmere...was a bit demoralized after rack issue and wasn't trying hard. So Never mind!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

lparkh wrote:OK dug around a bit and found out how to get into shadowmere...was a bit demoralized after rack issue and wasn't trying hard. So Never mind!
:) Well, now you know what not to do and what to do when you start a different run through with a different character. Kill everything before that door can be opened to the hanging man, that is.

Doesn't it make you feel good after you figure out a puzzle? :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
lparkh
Initiate

Post by lparkh »

Hmm wondering if I am out of the woods. I got to Erudor in the wizards castle. he tells me about the war and recognizes me. But I checked a walkthrough (because I am concerned about getting back 'on track') and he should tell me about the 3 goblin keys and gem.
He does not say this to me. He only talks about the war. .. this is worrisome..please advise :-(
Remember I was not able to talk the man on the rack (yes I know who he was going to be (I did get the gem)). So can I continue at this point? How will I know next quest steps without cheating?
Lin

p.s. going to stop now :-( quite concerned I may not be able to continue given wizard is not saying what he should. I took the key from his room but nothing improved. I have 3 goblin keys at this point.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Erudor gives you a goblin key and tells you that the last one is with the giants. If you have the one from the giants, then just take the key from Erudor's chest (you can kill him if you have to, as you'll never need him again). You're ready to storm the Goblin Citadel and defeat the evil Goblin mage.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Antigrav
Marshall

Post by Antigrav »

My first playthrough, I had gotten to Erudor before I was given the quest to talk to him. I had looted his chest on the first visit, then when I got the quest to go back to Shadowmirk and get Erudor's advice, he told me to loot his chest, which contained another copy of the goblin key. So you're safe either way.
lparkh
Initiate

Post by lparkh »

Thanks folks. I'd rather not redo Vela ( a lot of critters there!) so will go with the option of finding other key and storming the Goblin car mechanic's ( ;-) ) citadel,
Thanks!
Lin
dsoden
Pledge

Post by dsoden »

Thank you very much for the delete files workaround. This just saved me :) It should be added to the known workarounds list above, as i was in the same boat as the OP.