Advice for a Ranger

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
starmonkey
Pledge

Advice for a Ranger

Post by starmonkey »

Hi All,

I'm trying to play the game(demo) as a Ranger and I've noticed that I'm going through arrows at a very high rate, so I'm worried I'll go broke buying more at 2gp per arrow...

Any tips for playing as a Ranger? I didn't take Swords but instead put more points into Bows, I figured I might as well become awesome with the Bow as quickly as possible! What skill level is considered awesome? 10? 20? Did I make a fatal mistake not taking Swords, or can I just learn that when I level up?

cheers all, and congrats on a great indie title

// SM
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Advice for a Ranger

Post by Randomizer »

Level 10 with bows is where you pick up the focus shot feat for triple damage, so don't forget to switch to power mode for that shot. More means you do more damage, better to hit, and less time before you can do the feat again.

As to arrows, well the are over a hundred in Fletcher's Grove lying in some barrels. Finding them means going off the road as you travel through a forest. But for now it's easier to buy more.
starmonkey
Pledge

Post by starmonkey »

Cheers for that - looks like I should focus in dex + concentration also.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Also, mercantilism can reduce the cost of those arrows!
iamrichard
Steward

Post by iamrichard »

Ive tried to play as a ranger as well but found out it was rather hard. Arrows are indeed out of proportion cost wise. Not sure there is enough arrows in the shops either. As you need more then 3 arrows for the lesser enemy and way more for the stronger ones.

Any idea how to counter this problem?
The grass is greener at my neighbour.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Once you get the focus shot feat, one trick for some fights is use the feat and then retreat until you can do it again. This only works where you have a safe line of retreat. Then you can quick camp to regain the feat. Repeat as needed.

I could kill a goliath borehead with 2 or 3 arrows.
iamrichard
Steward

Post by iamrichard »

Randomizer wrote:Once you get the focus shot feat, one trick for some fights is use the feat and then retreat until you can do it again. This only works where you have a safe line of retreat. Then you can quick camp to regain the feat. Repeat as needed.

I could kill a goliath borehead with 2 or 3 arrows.

Is there a way to increace the "use again" for that feat other then sleep?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Increase you levels with bows and that reduces from 100 the number of turns between feats.
iamrichard
Steward

Post by iamrichard »

Randomizer wrote:Increase you levels with bows and that reduces from 100 the number of turns between feats.
Great, gonna restart the game as a ranger right now.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

Again in book 2 I wonder if Bows are even worth playing considering you miss 7 times out of 10, -25% for long shots -60% for very long shots - why bother ? I'm sure the game is Geared for Melee only :(
iamrichard
Steward

Post by iamrichard »

Iane wrote:Again in book 2 I wonder if Bows are even worth playing considering you miss 7 times out of 10, -25% for long shots -60% for very long shots - why bother ? I'm sure the game is Geared for Melee only :(
Iam getting the same idea. Its pretty hard to play as a ranger. Perhaps after lvl10 it is getting easier?.
Antigrav
Marshall

Post by Antigrav »

Ranged-only is viable for a character that's part of a group of adventurers. Solo, it's expensive and unnecessarily complicated to rely on bows exclusively. They should be used for softening up a target or finishing off one that's fleeing.

I see a lot of comments on immersion and believability about this and other RPGs. Would you go hunting game that fights back with nothing but a bow?
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

During the beta, I tested a pure bow PC and ran all the way through Hammerlorne with no real problems. It was a little challenging managing inventory to store all those arrows, but if anything I tended to over-purchase my ammunition. With all the points I pumped into Dex an Con, hitting my target was rarely an issue.

So, imho, a ranged-only character is more than doable. You just need to focus on the right stats. Having cool loot like the Sharpeye Pendant doesn't hurt either. 0_o
Lhoric
Senior Steward

Post by Lhoric »

I had great fun with a Ranger. Be sure to upgrade to better a better bow as you see them in the shops. There were planned high power arrows that didn't make it into Book 2, so I expect a Ranger could be very powerful in Book III. Stay tuned!
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

Antigrav wrote:Ranged-only is viable for a character that's part of a group of adventurers. Solo, it's expensive and unnecessarily complicated to rely on bows exclusively. They should be used for softening up a target or finishing off one that's fleeing.

I see a lot of comments on immersion and believability about this and other RPGs. Would you go hunting game that fights back with nothing but a bow?
Playing as combo ranger/magic user but also another penalty pops up - who's idea was it to limit magic use on weight of weapon - I mean come on - so I can't hold a Bow and cast at same time, I could understand a 2hander or sword and shield BUT a BOW, just not having any fun here having to switch all the time