Favorite RPG setting

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.

What RPG setting would you most like to see in a game?

Futuristic Sci-fi/Cyberpunk
10%
Oriental/Asian
No votes
Classic Medieval/Fantasy
58%
Modern/Real World
3%
Wild West/Steampunk
3%
Post Apocalyptic
25%
Other Culture Specific (Middle Eastern, Roman, etc)
3%
Something completely different
No votes

Total votes: 40

Metatron
Initiate

Favorite RPG setting

Post by Metatron »

Just a poll to keep you busy while the game is in development :D

I am curious to see the type of settings people prefer. In my opinion, setting is very important for any crpg (or any rpg for that matter). Unique settings provide memorable game experiences and good immersion into the game world. The trick is to create a game world that is not completely cliché or overdone while maintaining a level of familiarity with the audience. It seems to me that a game with a totally off-the wall setting may not succeed quite as well commercially as a sword-and-sorcery style high fantasy or medieval game.

What setting do you prefer? Are there any settings that you would like to see in a RPG in the future? Are there any settings that you consider to be completely terrible?
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Setting doesn't matter that much to me, I'm more interested in the story, gameplay and how the chosen setting is brought to life.
That said, a setting has to be something I am at least interested in, or I won't get a lot of enjoyment out of a title. I do thoroughly love when a game takes me on a travel to different locations or environments (so games like the Deux Ex, Tomb Raider and No One Lives Forever series are great, though perhaps not truly RPGs).

Out of your options, I like them all. Heck, mix them up a bit even. A cyberpunk Middle East campaign, a post-apoc Rome or a steampunk wild west.

I would, however, dearly love a good Cyberpunk 2020 RPG. Not an action shooter like that new Shadowrun game, but a good, solid, in-depth RPG using a faithful rendering of the 2020 rule set.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Voted for the Sci-Fi setting.
One of the best RPGs i´ve ever played was System-Shock and System-Shock 2. The athmosphere and story in this two classics is absolutley awesome! Im a great Sci-Fi Fan. Unfortunately there a way too few good Sci-Fi RPGs out there.

Last year the RPG-Codex brought an article about Laidback-Gaming. A indi game-developer making aturn-based SciFi-Game. Here is the link of their HP: www.laidback-gaming.com

But since then, there are no news about "Dropship". I hope they are in deep-developing mode!! :D
"FUL IR"
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I am partial to classical fantasy, more Tolkien-esque than "hyper-fantastical fantasy".

Modern/real-world or even historical doesn't always provide me with enough escapism. I prefer my role-playing definitely have an edge of imagination to it: magic, monsters, mutants, etc.

Anything else is fine as long as it feels like true role-playing and not just an adventure game with role-playing elements.
Last edited by BasiliskWrangler on June 15th, 2007, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I voted classic fantasy but would like to see oriental and other cultures, perhaps Arabic, or Africa or even India or American Indian.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
MarionDeputy
Apprentice

Post by MarionDeputy »

I voted for sci-fi just because there haven't been that many good ones. Although you might not call it a true RPG, I have played more hours of X-com than any other game I own. I still play it to this day. So many developers have tried to re-hash the brilliance of the original and they have all failed. Someone could make a lot of money re-doing this game well. It still has a huge following.
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

I have played more hours of X-com than any other game I own. I still play it to this day. So many developers have tried to re-hash the brilliance of the original and they have all failed. Someone could make a lot of money re-doing this game well. It still has a huge following.
I agree, and I think some follow-on efforts missed the point by going real-time (and thus reflex-dependent). I'd love to see
the original X-Com with updated graphics. Isn't that what UFO-Extraterrestrials was supposed to be? Have you heard anything about how that turned out?
Grumolch
Initiate

Post by Grumolch »

I voted fantasy/medieval, though I did pause to think about what I'd like to see. Maybe something a little different.

I've always been fascinated by Aztec and Mayan cultures. I think a setting like this, mixed with the magic of old-school fantasy, might be pretty cool. I've only seen these cultures represented in Age of Empires, but I've never seen an RPG with this backdrop. Blowgun of Yellow Fever +5! Woot!

Also pondering a different type of environment. Something colorful. I recall reading some Piers Anthony novels; I think one title was 'Magic Kingdom For Sale: Sold'; where there were trees called Bonnie Blues, that had bright blue foliage, and the main character's castle was actually a living entity.

Don't get me wrong. I like plain old pretzels. But I don't mind chocolate covered pretzels every once and awhile.

Gary
Still on my endless quest to find an RPG game better than Might and Magic: Mandate of Heaven.
-If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?-
tormy
Initiate

Post by tormy »

Forgotten Realms to be more specific. 8)
Azarr
Pledge

Post by Azarr »

I like fantasy and there's nothing wrong with sci-fi, however I prefer Post Apocalyptic.
"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is the sooner it's over." Warmaster Horus
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

If I could go back and change my vote now, I'd vote for Wild West. I'd like to see one.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Gallifrey wrote:Setting doesn't matter that much to me, I'm more interested in the story, gameplay and how the chosen setting is brought to life.
That said, a setting has to be something I am at least interested in, or I won't get a lot of enjoyment out of a title. I do thoroughly love when a game takes me on a travel to different locations or environments (so games like the Deux Ex, Tomb Raider and No One Lives Forever series are great, though perhaps not truly RPGs).

Out of your options, I like them all. Heck, mix them up a bit even. A cyberpunk Middle East campaign, a post-apoc Rome or a steampunk wild west.

I would, however, dearly love a good Cyberpunk 2020 RPG. Not an action shooter like that new Shadowrun game, but a good, solid, in-depth RPG using a faithful rendering of the 2020 rule set.
I agree!
I played the pen and paper game.
I liked it very much.
About Shadowrun pc game..... no comment :x

Voted Fantasy classical.... the Star Trail serie was in my mind.
furor vincit omnia
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

Yarrrr, it's talk like a pirate day! There should be a pirate RPG!
Baelthazar
Initiate

Post by Baelthazar »

Yo Mates! I have to be a sayin' that I prefer Post-Apocalyptic settin's... Post Apocalyptic Cthulhu settin's...

Bael
Rollor
Marshall

Post by Rollor »

voted western.. A western rpg will surely rock hard :)