How do I find classic cRPGs???

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Metatron
Initiate

How do I find classic cRPGs???

Post by Metatron »

Reading some of the topics in these forums has left me with a desire to play some of the more classic games that I was never introduced to. Some of the older ones, like wasteland, etc. seem difficult to find (for a reasonable price, anyway). Even a game like Arcanum seems a bit overpriced, given its age, and thats another game I would like to try. Any (legal) tips on how to acquire these titles???
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Get yourself DOS-Box and try this site: http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php

Have Fun! :D
"FUL IR"
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

http://www.the-underdogs.info/ is also a great resource for old games (they have Wasteland for example). However, titles like Arcanum are still actually in-print and you won't be able to, legally, get a copy for free (unless someone just agrees to give you their copy or whatever).
Underdogs will sometimes give you a source at which to buy a copy of an old game if it's not abandonware.
EBay is wonderful for finding old games for not very much, too.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Metatron
Initiate

Post by Metatron »

Wow, I have no more need of entertainment for the next decade. Or at least until Eschalon comes out. Thanks!
Mad Marauder
Pledge

Post by Mad Marauder »

If anybody's interested in the oldies...

I still play some of the old ones from way back when I first started (1985-) every now and then. I use HOXS64 emulator for PC, it's just like the old days! You can get many of the old games free at www.c64.com. and play them as they were meant to be played. In all their 8-bit glory!!! Ahh, good times, good times..

Try my favorites Wizard's Crown and Eternal Dagger.
All that glitters is not gold; all that wander are not lost.
BehindTimes
Initiate

Post by BehindTimes »

Gallifrey wrote:http://www.the-underdogs.info/ is also a great resource for old games (they have Wasteland for example). However, titles like Arcanum are still actually in-print and you won't be able to, legally, get a copy for free (unless someone just agrees to give you their copy or whatever).
Underdogs will sometimes give you a source at which to buy a copy of an old game if it's not abandonware.
EBay is wonderful for finding old games for not very much, too.
One small note on this. Abandonware is a misnomer as there are hardly any games that you can legally download for free. Copyright, depending upon the country, gives at minimum 50 years until the game becomes public domain.

The only difference is if the author of the game releases the game for free, and even in this situation, the author most likely is the actual company instead of the designer, which has gotten a few game designers in trouble in the past, and then there still might be limitations on who can download the game, etc.

I'm just warning you that while what people have suggested in this post might be the best way to go about it, in the end, it's still illegal.
Tinan
Initiate

Post by Tinan »

Legal is as kops don't care. In other words, if aforementioned websites are maintaining download links to software, then it is because they have not been told off for it yet (certainly abandonia and hotu take down links if they even suspect there might be a problem). Yes, the distribution of this software may still technically be a breach of copyright. Me smoking in my room right now might technically be a breach of UK anti-smoking laws (since I work from my bedroom/study, it's a workplace, which means I shouldn't be smoking in here). But *nobody* cares.

Go ahead and click on that link, I say. I sincerely believe that the copyright holders for such games do not stand to make any more financial profit from the games themselves, anymore. Their value lies in their continued popularity which might lead to sequels, spin-offs etc. Downloading so called "abandonware" is actually downloading futureware in prototype form. Why else would Westwood give away C&C, why else would Rockstar give away GTAs 1 & 2? Download and have fun.
ThwockSplort
Apprentice

Post by ThwockSplort »

Here, here. If the company isn't inclined to bother with their games, then why should I feel guilty? If they were enterprising and ambitious, they could re-release these games if they were good enough.

Heck, they could put Heroes of Might and Magic 1 or Star Control 2 or Xcom or Transport Tycoon 1 or Master of Magic up on Xbox live or something like Steam. I'd pay $2-$10 bucks for them in a heartbeat, if they polished them up. Just make it easy for me and I would pay for convenience.
Magic Candle II-III, Ultima Exodus, Final Fantasy 1,3, Dragon Warrior, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, Elder Scrolls 2,3,4, Mass Effect