Already having issues

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
sjaffe
Apprentice

Already having issues

Post by sjaffe »

I loved Book I but I had several issues with it that I see still exist in Book II, including the ridiculously high cost of arrows. For 2gp, I should be able to get a whole forest's worth of arrows. They are ridiculously cheap to make if you have trees nearby.

But, that issue aside:

- What is it that you guys have against left-handed gamers? Why are the controls all LEFT-shift, and LEFT-ctrl and cannot be changed to be RIGHT-shift and RIGHT-ctrl??? I find it very difficult to play when my hands have to keep going all over the board because the game is geared to right-handed users.

- Not everyone likes music in their games. Really. Why is it the music plays during character creation? Why can't I turn that off? I'll be the same problem exists with Book II as with Book I - the music plays every time I go up a level even if I set it to 0% in the options... How annoying.

- Fonts. Really. Doesn't anyone test these for readability before you use them? When I started the game, I got a "Scroll of Fleshboil". It took me 5 minutes to figure out what kind of scroll it was because I couldn't read "Fleshboil" in this crazy font.

- In Book 1, there were key strokes to take you from the game screen back to the desktop. I think it was CMD-TAB but I don't remember. I really need a way to switch between the game, and doing other things like checking email without having to save, exit the game, and restart every time.

- Installing Book II seems to have broken Book I. Sigh.

If it matters, I'm playing on a Mac and I'm only playing the demo version. I probably will not be purchasing the game because the online seller, Plimus, refuses to sell it to me.
slm
Initiate

Re: Already having issues

Post by slm »

Wow, it must be tough being you.
sjaffe
Apprentice

Post by sjaffe »

slm wrote:Wow, it must be tough being you.
Thank you for your very helpful post.
sjaffe
Apprentice

Post by sjaffe »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Basilisk Games have nothing against left-handed gamers, and to suggest so makes you look very foolish. They have very limited resources. To put it harshly, the vast majority of gamers are right-handed and until we see more left-handers it isn't worth the time or the effort.
They already have a mechanism in place for changing some of the key bindings. Adding these would have taken EXTREMELY LITTLE EFFORT. As a computer programmer, I know how little effort it would take.

I don't know where you get the idea that the vast majority of gamers are right-handed. There are certainly NO statistics kept on that. There have been studies done that show that the number of people in the general population who are left-handed can be as high as 20%. That's not a small number.
Jedi_Learner wrote:Don't turn your speakers on. Problem solved! :D
Again, they already have a mechanism in place for turning off the music. Why not just adhere to that? Why is it acceptable to ignore that option?
Jedi_Learner wrote:I never had any problems reading the font. I believe you're the first person to complain about the fonts on these forums.
Maybe for Book II. I remember others complaining about them in Book I. And people complain about the fonts on other forums...
Jedi_Learner wrote:Why won't Plimus sell to you?
If someone from Basilisk Games wants to contact me privately, I will discuss it. But, I don't think it's proper to discuss ongoing litigation on a public forum. Suffice it to say that Plimus is violating California State law.
CycyX
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by CycyX »

sjaffe wrote:Installing Book II seems to have broken Book I. Sigh.
What happened to your Book I installation? File corruption? Haven't seen that in Windows nor Linux.
sjaffe wrote:I probably will not be purchasing the game because the online seller, Plimus, refuses to sell it to me.
I must say that I'm using Plimus for pretty much every game I bought recently (a lot of indie developers use Plimus), and never had an issue with them except once, when I didn't use my Paypal address to order.
And this was solve the next business day, with a simple phone call (they called me, not the other way round).
Last edited by CycyX on May 26th, 2010, 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CycyX
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by CycyX »

sjaffe wrote:I don't know where you get the idea that the vast majority of gamers are right-handed. There are certainly NO statistics kept on that. There have been studies done that show that the number of people in the general population who are left-handed can be as high as 20%. That's not a small number.
Well it's "only" 1 out 5 gamers out there max. Still not a big number.

But I agree that you shall be able to edit the key binding. Even if it's only by editing config file...
sjaffe wrote:Suffice it to say that Plimus is violating California State law.
Could you just mention that law, even if you don't want to discuss your issue on this board?
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

sjaffe wrote: - In Book 1, there were key strokes to take you from the game screen back to the desktop. I think it was CMD-TAB but I don't remember. I really need a way to switch between the game, and doing other things like checking email without having to save, exit the game, and restart every time.
if you're using windows, it's alt-tab, and a function of the OS, not the game, and it still works in Book II
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

Never got problems with the fonts either.

If there is an official forum, where BW comes often, why complain on other forums you're not even sure he knows exist ?

For the other things, well, might indeed be better if it where included, but as I like the music, and am right handed, it's not a big deal to me :D
sjaffe
Apprentice

Post by sjaffe »

CycyX wrote:
sjaffe wrote:Suffice it to say that Plimus is violating California State law.
Could you just mention that law, even if you don't want to discuss your issue on this board?
Sure: California Civil Code Section 1747.08

Does that help you?
sjaffe
Apprentice

Post by sjaffe »

CycyX wrote:
sjaffe wrote:Installing Book II seems to have broken Book I. Sigh.
What happened to your Book I installation? File corruption? Haven't seen that in Windows nor Linux.

Not entirely sure but it looks like some kind of driver corruption or other graphic problem. When the startup screen comes up, it's all screwy with pieces of text all over, buttons missing, and I can't do anything except close the window and exit.
CycyX
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by CycyX »

Ok, so you don't want to give them detailed information about you in a credit card transaction.

From my point of view, this sounds crazy (you can rob a credit card from someone and use it without any proof that it's yours...), but as Plimus is based in San Jose, CA, they must abide by CA laws...

Can't you contact them by phone or use another payment method?
CycyX
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by CycyX »

sjaffe wrote:Not entirely sure but it looks like some kind of driver corruption or other graphic problem. When the startup screen comes up, it's all screwy with pieces of text all over, buttons missing, and I can't do anything except close the window and exit.
Ok, I've actually seen this one in Linux, running Book I over Wine, with bad DirectX driver installed.
So this is basically a graphic driver issue.

What I don't understand though is how installing Book II could possibly damage Book I.
I'm in no way a mac expert (never used them), but haven't you made some other changes before installing Book II (driver update, system update)?
sjaffe
Apprentice

Post by sjaffe »

silverkitty wrote:
sjaffe wrote: - In Book 1, there were key strokes to take you from the game screen back to the desktop. I think it was CMD-TAB but I don't remember. I really need a way to switch between the game, and doing other things like checking email without having to save, exit the game, and restart every time.
if you're using windows, it's alt-tab, and a function of the OS, not the game, and it still works in Book II
I did say I was on a Mac, didn't I? Every combination I've tried including:
cmd-tab, ctrl-tab, fn-tab, and opt-tab and the same with the shift key down (i.e. shift-cmd-tab), as well as shift-tab, all resulting in the same thing as when I type just tab: I get the coordinates of the current location, tactical grid, and the list of preset spells.

I looked at the cfg file on the Mac, there isn't any clue there on what key combination should work, nor is there any clue there on how to change the configuration to make RIGHT-shift instead of LEFT-shift work.
sjaffe
Apprentice

Post by sjaffe »

CycyX wrote:Ok, so you don't want to give them detailed information about you in a credit card transaction.

From my point of view, this sounds crazy (you can rob a credit card from someone and use it without any proof that it's yours...), but as Plimus is based in San Jose, CA, they must abide by CA laws...

Can't you contact them by phone or use another payment method?
I can't use another payment method. As for contacting them on the phone, well, that doesn't leave any kind of paper trail and I was advised against it by an attorney last time.
sjaffe
Apprentice

Post by sjaffe »

CycyX wrote:
sjaffe wrote:Not entirely sure but it looks like some kind of driver corruption or other graphic problem. When the startup screen comes up, it's all screwy with pieces of text all over, buttons missing, and I can't do anything except close the window and exit.
Ok, I've actually seen this one in Linux, running Book I over Wine, with bad DirectX driver installed.
So this is basically a graphic driver issue.

What I don't understand though is how installing Book II could possibly damage Book I.
I'm in no way a mac expert (never used them), but haven't you made some other changes before installing Book II (driver update, system update)?
No other updates. Sequence of events:

1. Yesterday, played Book I for a bit to remember the feel of the game since I hadn't played in a while.
2. Logged off and shut the machine down.
3. Booted machine.
4. Read mail (like I do everyday)
5. Downloaded Book II and installed it.
6. Ran Book II. Had problems with the alt-tab thing and wanted to remind myself of what key combination worked in Book I
7. Exited Book II.
8. Tried to run Book I