I'm so tough I don't have to eat (build spoilers)

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

I'm so tough I don't have to eat (build spoilers)

Post by SpottedShroom »

I'm working on my second play through, this time as a melee fighter. Since weapon skills improve combat ability faster than stat increases, I've been spending all my stat points on Endurance. I now gain one HP per turn, which is great for staying alive during fights, but also has some unusual consequences I didn't expect.

For one, I no longer have to eat or drink. Evidently I'm just such a bada** that I'm beyond such things. As soon as I lose 1 HP from hunger/thirst, I gain it back again immediately. The same goes for poison - just walk it off!

Would you say this is a bug, a unintended quirk of the rules, or a feature? I wouldn't be surprised to see it go away in Book III, but it's sure handy in Book II.
Oshkell
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: I'm so tough I don't have to eat (build spoilers)

Post by Oshkell »

Sounds like it might have been something they didn't expect folks to do. Just a guess. Maybe a solution would be to have hunger & thirst stop HP/MP regeneration, in addition to a gradual decline of ATTRIBUTES, (perhaps mostly Strength and Endurance) *instead* of HP/MP? *That* would fix your stalwart behind. ;P
I listen,
I laugh,
I think for a while
As I sit in the dark
And smile.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

SpottedShroom wrote:Would you say this is a bug, a unintended quirk of the rules, or a feature? I wouldn't be surprised to see it go away in Book III, but it's sure handy in Book II.
It's an unintended consequence of the rules. BW has said he's looking at making dehydration and starvation more severe. I think they should act somewhat like being diseased, but getting worse over time. They start to subtract from your stats (temporarily) if you don't eat or drink.

It makes sense that a higher endurance would let you deal with deprivation better, but not make it totally pointless.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

I'm wondering what would happen if you, with such high END, tried to quicktravel while being close to starvation.
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote: It's an unintended consequence of the rules. BW has said he's looking at making dehydration and starvation more severe.
Seems like simplest thing would be "suspend hp and mana regeneration"?

Of course, if we wanted realism, it wouldn't cost half a day and work up a half-day's appetite to cross a football field lengthwise :) (and before you say "try it in armor," know that my character doesn't wear armor)
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Drixx »

I've actually found the Thirst and Hunger system to be a little less sever than expected. Forage is at 12 wearing 2 rings, and once in awhile I have to summon a bit of food and take a couple swigs of water. :-)
faustmn
Initiate

Post by faustmn »

I'd be fine with more severe effets of dehydration and starvation, but have the hunger and thirst rates reduced. This feature adds some "realism" and strategy, but it can be detrimental to game enjoyment at times.