Found a way to cheat

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
fishboy11
Initiate

Found a way to cheat

Post by fishboy11 »

if you are holding an item with your mouse by left clicking on it, then you die and reload you still have that item held and in your inventory, so you can double items this way, so if you have a potion held then die, and reload you now have 2 then you can save od it again and have 4 etc...

i only used it for cure disease potions cause they are expensive and diseases are a pain.

you'll ruin the game for yourself if you abuse this so be wary, also i guess this could be considered a bug so, mod's please feel free to move to the bug section.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I found one too. If you have the patience that is. Stand in front of a chest or sack dropped by a Thug. Quick save game. Look in chest, if items are normal or only a few gold. Reload and look again. Sometimes when you do this you get nice weapons to sell for much needed gold or a magic item or two! You have to decide if you want that magic item though and it can be addicting to check one more time. :lol: You could save under a normal save title and then reload the quick save and try again to see if you get a better item. It can get very tediouos and enemy might sneak up on you so be careful.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
moldar
Apprentice

Post by moldar »

I have found that as well, Dragonlady. It is quite easy to "fix" though. When entering an area for the first time, go through all chest, barrel, corpse, etc and "open" them then close them - thus locking in the contents.

Not sure if it will be done for Book I, but it is a safe way to allow random loot and prevent "scumming" for goodies.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This was a big debate during beta testing...lock the contents upon map entry or leave them random? In the end, I decided to leave them random. As moldar said, it is very easy to fix, but I like the true "randomness" it creates. For example, if you died and had to replay part of a map, you would still want to visit each chest/barrel because you know the contents are going to be different than the last time you opened it.
zer
Initiate

Post by zer »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:This was a big debate during beta testing...lock the contents upon map entry or leave them random? In the end, I decided to leave them random.
yes, random loot likes me more( it reminds me Wizardry 7 in some way), but maybe you should make it more hmm ... "leveled"? Between "two-gold and thousand-gold loot lies big difference (imo).
elkston
Apprentice

Post by elkston »

zer wrote: yes, random loot likes me more( it reminds me Wizardry 7 in some way), but maybe you should make it more hmm ... "leveled"? Between "two-gold and thousand-gold loot lies big difference (imo).
Yes, this is my feeling too. Randomness is fine but I feel that random items within a specific chest should have a fixed range of quality (their gold value could be used to measure this).

So you could for instance have a chest with a *fixed* number of random loot items. Each item slot will have predetermined label like "10-50", "250-500", "60-100", etc... and then when the chest is opened for the first time, a random item whose gold value is within the labled range will be produced.

This is similar to the way Wizardry 8 handled random items.
fishboy11
Initiate

Post by fishboy11 »

actually i found out you don't have to die to duplicate items, just pick it up with a left click and then restore a savegame and it'll start by saying do you really want to drop this item so you choose no, and this works for chests, you can open a chest take an item you like in hand with a left click then restore your save and you still have the item, but the contents of the chest have reset to something else and you can keep looting it over and over again, it works for looting if people see you too, loot the chest and take an item you want then restore your game and they are all happy again and the items is on you and still in the chest.