Starting character of EB: III

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Calathon
Marshall

Starting character of EB: III

Post by Calathon »

I think I already know the answer, but I will ask anyway: there is no option planned to transfer your EB: II character to the third part of the game, is there? I mean, there are games out there which scale the difficutly dependent on your choice of play (create a new character or import an experienced one), so it should be possible in my opinion, at least technically. But EB: III will start with the creation of a "new" character, right? Right. :wink:
Mhmm, still 2 months to go until the release and I still do not know which starting skills to pick... will there be any new skills available or can I assume thinking about the best combination of the known skills is a good way to go? :)
Bloody hell, I am really getting impatient about the release! :D
Well, enough loose thoughts for now. :roll:
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Starting character of EB: III

Post by Randomizer »

No ability to transfer characters.

Enjoy yourself the first time and worry about min-max skill sets the next time.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

My first successful playthrough of the previous two games has been with a paladin, focusing most of my skill and attribute points into things that will help me finish the game faster, not necessarily easier (I rarely get any mercantile in my game). Playthroughs after that I think back to the previous playthrough, and everywhere I struggled, and then I create a new character for each place a struggled in. After that, I finally do my playthroughs in which I explore the world's many secrets, specializing characters, and try new challenges.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

Unfortunately, it was very late in the game (EB:II) when I found out that being a sole melee fighter makes the game quite hard. So being able to cast the healing spell, having nightvision and the possibility to create food / water makes it a lot easier. So in EB:III I will play as a paladin from the beginning and I will try to invest some points into archery as it allows you to weaken the enemy when he is approaching. In fact, in EB:I I was very glad to be able to shoot down those "barrel-goblins" before they reached me. Also nice for weakening adjacent enemies, if I remember correctly.

And I think I will not invest any points in the mercantile skill because you only get a good advantage from that after a certain amount of points invested. Same for alchemy and foraging, but only because I do not brew potions. On the other hand, it is quite nice to have a reduced need for food and water, but with the corresponding spells, I do not need this skill.

Well, exactly 2 months to go from today on... ;)
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I still remember when I found out that in Book I you could wield a bow, and have a sword your "alternate weapon" slot. When the arrow was about to hit the enemy, you could hit 'return' and deal the swords damage to him. That was a great exploit.

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Vroqren wrote:I still remember when I found out that in Book I you could wield a bow, and have a sword your "alternate weapon" slot. When the arrow was about to hit the enemy, you could hit 'return' and deal the swords damage to him. That was a great exploit.
Live and learn - that's a new one to me. Will have to give it a try....
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Vroqren wrote:I still remember when I found out that in Book I you could wield a bow, and have a sword your "alternate weapon" slot. When the arrow was about to hit the enemy, you could hit 'return' and deal the swords damage to him. That was a great exploit.
I never really understood the point of that. Just spend the points on Bow instead of Sword and you'll do lots of damage at range, no exploit required!
Xex
Apprentice

Post by Xex »

I'll play as a Warrior Mage the first time. Hopefully there will be black colored armor in the game! :)
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

SpottedShroom wrote:
I never really understood the point of that. Just spend the points on Bow instead of Sword and you'll do lots of damage at range, no exploit required!
Not always, but generally speaking, swords at say level 15 do more damage than arrows would at bows skill of 15. Obviously it depends on the quality of sword and of arrow, but I always used Divine Ore Great Sword with this exploit. Just so you guys know though, I did beat Book I at least once without using any exploits.

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

My favorite "exploit" in Book I is that you can use Portal on any map. Once you learn that, you can just zip back to Blackwater's healing/MP regenerating well at any time.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

SpottedShroom wrote:My favorite "exploit" in Book I is that you can use Portal on any map. Once you learn that, you can just zip back to Blackwater's healing/MP regenerating well at any time.
*clicks well*
*presses yes*
*repeats 50 times*
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Even though I struggled with the build when I was first learning to play Book I, I'm nearly certain I started playing Book II with a bow-wielding Ranger, and I am almost certain to start off Book III the same way. There's just something really satisfying about letting an arrow fly and hearing the *twack!* as it hits its target, even with your first-level character... :mrgreen:

As for the 'healing wells' in Book I, yeah I miss those, and I hope they make a return appearance in Book III; though in Book III I'd make them a lot harder to get to (e.g. like, you can only find them in the dark depths of a dungeon somewhere), so you couldn't exploit them like you could in Book I... ;)