Avernum 6 is out.

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
function.require
Apprentice

Re: Avernum 6 is out.

Post by function.require »

Too bad no linux. This game looks like fun :(

Maybe I'll plug my old Macbook into my monitor and give it a spin.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

I've noticed the game is a little buggy, more so than usual for a game first time out, I think, and there're even mistakes in the dialogue that the beta testers apparently didn't catch... it also gets a little tiresome after a while going back over all the territory I've already seen in A4 (sure, using the same map makes some sense, in a way, especially considering that the Castle should be involved... and if it helped reduce production time then I find it understandable)... but still I like the game very much. When I go back to the earlier games, the visual contrast is pretty serious. This game really does look much better. Compare it to A4 & A5, and it's as if the Avernites suddenly got glasses.

It's also nice that he finally got rid of that annoying aura around the selected character.

But... speaking of maps... it might've been interesting if it'd taken place, instead of on the A4 map, specifically in the Abyss, and the game had also extended the map to include extra tunnels, the Abyss being the furthest and 'safest' (as safe as the Abyss can get, I guess) from both the Horde and the Blight... it would've been nice to explore the Abyss and its outer tunnels more and to see it treated as a more involved area. And the main characters: born Abyss-dwellers rather than born Avernites. Home town: Spire, I suppose.

I don't want to be too critical: I understand that Indy development can be difficult and time-consuming. Jeff has to make money if he wants to keep making games.

At any rate I'm glad he's leaving both Avernum and Geneforge behind. As much as I've liked those series, I think they've been played out well enough.

Here's to hoping the next game looks even better than this one.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
katangputz
Pledge

Post by katangputz »

Avernum 6 is set in the world of Avernum, an enormous series of caves far below the surface of the world.I was always interested in playing the old Avernum games, but I was afraid I wouldn't like the story.Avernum is Spiderweb's homage to classic RPG games like Ultima.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Today I finally returned to my unfinished Avernum 6 game, and... of course, it turns out I was away from it too long. I felt kind of bewildered, sort of like, "Where am I, here?" . . . I'd forgotten so much, I'd forgotten what I'd been up to at that particular save-game moment.

I don't like it when that happens.

Perhaps there's some way I can stop getting distracted from games 2/3 of the way through.

At any rate, I soon got bored again and quit, so maybe it'll be even longer before I get back in.

Then again: maybe instead of playing computer games (and posting on forums, ahem) I should actually be working more. :roll:
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.