Advice for a Ranger

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Advice for a Ranger

Post by Dragonlady »

Louist wrote: Oh, also, where is this fletcher's grove that was mentioned? I'd love some free arrows. Also, I've found a lantern, but I just cant figure out how/if you can use it. Man, I wish I could just drop a burning torch on the ground. Even if it just lasted a few turns, it would save me a lot of work.

Thanks,
Louist
It's been said elsewhere where the Grove is. On the path to the 2nd village, through Wolfenwood, you should see a bucket lying on the side of the road. Walk to the west of it through the trees. You won't be able to see yourself move but the screen does. (you can see the movement better at night.) Eventually moving west gets you to the Grove and several barrels with arrows in them...and a trainer! Be careful though, those barrels only have arrows in them once. Too bad the trainer doesn't sell some once in a while..arrows that is.

As for a lantern, it goes in the 'shield' slot. It lights itself. You can't hold a torch and the lantern at the same time. And, per the torch, you can't shoot your bow while holding it.

The advice for the Predator Potion is a good one, or getting 1 skill in Mage and getting the spell. It won't last long but you don't use mana points as a Ranger much. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

If you save 2 skill points at creation and get 5 levels with bows, then at level 2 you can have 10 levels with bows and get a focused shot feat. This will reduce the number of arrows needed for a kill. It seems boring, but focused shot and retreat will get you through fights quicker and reduce your worries about finding arrows.
goodman
Initiate

Post by goodman »

I`d say that a ranger is a bit overpowered. Never have any problem during the game with killing mobs, 1-2 arrows always are enough for most of them. Here are some of my ranger stats (power mode and HA):
ToHit - 49, Max Damage - 89+3, Armor 84, HP - 92, Most damage - 385.
elkston
Apprentice

Post by elkston »

I'd say the first tiers of magic spells in both the Elemental and Divinity schools are very useful for the Ranger.

As soon as you can spare the points, you should learn Divinity and Elemental at least up to level 4. You should then learn these spells as a priority:

Bless (D)- makes you hit more often and for more damage
Predator's Sight (E) - lets you see enemies in the dark. Essential for dungeons

You'll need to have your Intelligence & Wisdom up to 15 to learn the spells. It is therefore in your best interest to roll a character that has a decent score in those attributes from the outset. Don't accept anything under a 13. There are also rings / hats that will boost your Divinity, Elemental, Intelligence, or Wisdom. Keep an eye out.

If you ask me, trying to play a Ranger without a bit of magic support is an exercise in tedium. You don't have to be a sorceror or anything -- just get divinity & elemental up to level 7 or so you cast the easy support spells for a reasonable duration.

Some other ranger tips:

1. Find the mercantile book and learn that skill. Then purchase a hat you can find at some vendors that will boost Mercantile by 2. This will cut the price of arrows for you.

2. Learn a melee weapon skill at least up to level 10 for a backup. In the early going you will find arrows scarce and besides that you will also find yourself in situations where enemies are right in your face. I choose piercing weapons because I was already investing points into Dex & Speed and thus had the stats to make these weapons immediately effective. Furthermore, there is a TOTALLY AWESOME unique piercing weapon in the "settlement" under Ironpool Dam.

3. Unfortunately, arrows are not weightless! Eventually you'll find a few different types of arrows you want to keep around in your inventory, but the weight starts to encumber you. Learn strength at least up to level 20 so you can carry a decent compliment of arrows and not worry about running out before reaching a shop again. Again, the best bet is to roll a char with a high enough strength so you don't have to spend that many extra points in the long run. Also, there is a ring you can buy with +3 str that helps.

4. Learn alchemy up to level 8. There is a trainer in Port Kudaad & there is also a skill book as well. If you are lucky, you will also find a ring that will add +2 to your alchemy skill. With level 8 Alchemy you can add +1 Dmg, +2 Fire, and +2 poison to your bow if you have the right recipes.

5. This goes without saying, but get your bow skill at least above 20. When you get in the 20s you'll be able to cast your special "focus" feat more often.
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

elkston wrote: As soon as you can spare the points, you should learn Divinity and Elemental at least up to level 4. You should then learn these spells as a priority:

You'll need to have your Intelligence & Wisdom up to 15 to learn the spells. It is therefore in your best interest to roll a character that has a decent score in those attributes from the outset. Don't accept anything under a 13. There are also rings / hats that will boost your Divinity, Elemental, Intelligence, or Wisdom. Keep an eye out.

If you ask me, trying to play a Ranger without a bit of magic support is an exercise in tedium. You don't have to be a sorceror or anything -- just get divinity & elemental up to level 7 or so you cast the easy support spells for a reasonable duration.
There is no need to spend more than one point on each arcane skill. Between the trainer and the books, you can raise each skill to ten. A single additional point in each allows you to cast first tier spells at level six.

You should be able to raise your intelligence and wisdom to fifteen with items even if you have low starting scores. Investing points in either should not be necessary. You only need a score of fifteen to learn the spells, not to cast them.
kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

i had gone ahead and spent 3 pts so that wis and int were at 15. I bought ALL my elemental magick. I think i bought the first levels of divine...not sure. may have bought them all.

I have a low dodge and low light armor...and 3 pts to spend...thinking of buying one of them. at level 10 my bow is 20. swords (all bought) is 8. still looking for skill book for swords.

I bought merc up to 2 or 3. helped with arrows.

I was wondering if I should keep maxxing dex and con....my end and speed and str are all at 17-18. I think I am going to go forage awhile and buy the best light armor I can...
oh it looks like alchemy would be good to put pots in. I did the buy 8, read book, and then put in like 1 pt. I plan on getting brewmaster rings when I see them. not sure if I should buy alchemy more. stoneskin would be nice.
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
ampoliros
Pledge

Post by ampoliros »

I do agree that pressing this button and that button to switch in and out of combat modes and item sets constantly just as a matter of course to play a ranged character DOES take the fun out of the game. Why doesn't the Focus feat automatically use power mode???

I like playing a ranged character and I do utilize many of the strategies mentioned in this thread. However as I said above I'm not going to press buttons 8,000 times in one combat. I shouldn't have to.

I also think arrows are far too heavy and expensive. The base red fletched arrows should cost 1 gold per 10 or 20, not each. Money is very scarce in this game considering how expensive a decent enchanted item is. I've only bought one 700gp item. The rest of my money has gone to trainers and arrows (and there's still PLENTY to get trained on).
Alchemist
Initiate

Post by Alchemist »

I played as a ranger also using magic, easiest way to save on arrows and being hit by enemies is to quicksave as soon as u have a hit, then simply load quicksave game, u get your hit but enemy doesn't. I know this make gameplay longer, but what the heck - game is so great it doesnt matter. This way also when u have no hit, just load previous quicksave and arrow is back in inventory. :mrgreen:
Antigrav
Marshall

Post by Antigrav »

Alchemist wrote:I played as a ranger also using magic, easiest way to save on arrows and being hit by enemies is to quicksave as soon as u have a hit, then simply load quicksave game, u get your hit but enemy doesn't. I know this make gameplay longer, but what the heck - game is so great it doesnt matter. This way also when u have no hit, just load previous quicksave and arrow is back in inventory. :mrgreen:
Or you could buy more arrows!

Actually, if you're going to this much trouble to get around an arrow shortage, I would be happy to edit your character's inventory in the name of mercy.
Alchemist
Initiate

Post by Alchemist »

I playede as a Druidic Magick User with bows as my main weapon. I used the Quicksave as a method to save on arrows and being hit by enemies. Simply quicksave after every hit, before enemy respond with their hit. Then load quicksave file, thus u got the hit and the enemy did not. I worked 4 me. Saved a lot on arrows and health potions.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

That just sounds like so much work, and not a lot of fun. I always thought the moments in the game where I was running low on arrows with a half-dozen monsters closing in on me were the most fun part. When that Focus Feat light clicks back on just in time to kill the skeleton blocking your escape route and your heart leaps!
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Before I go back into the game again (which I might do tonight... or this morning, however you want to look at it), at which point I'll probably start over yet again and change his stats to something that I think will work better for me, at least at the beginning, here's Fergys' current and latest incarnation:

...This is Config#1. Config#2 will show him with bow in hand... which you can now see conveniently stuffed away at the bottom left of his inventory.

Now... I chose picklocking in this incarnation because in a certain underground realm at the very beginning: I seem to remember running into a bunch of doors that happened to be locked.

But just after creating this incarnation, I began thinking: Wait a minute, so... what if Fergys fails at picking a lock? I chose the steady seed, after all, at game start... I mean, I argued for that long ago so it'd be hypocritical -- not to mention nonsensical -- for me to stay with the renewable seed. Which means, I'm guessing: if I reload the game then he's still not going to be able to open the lock.

Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong: but I'm guessing the steady seed is rolled either at the moment I enter a room or hallway or get # steps away from it, or else the moment I enter the screen the door (or chest) will be found in.

Which means: I've gotta bash it down with my sword: which will, of course, break the sword in just about no time.

Which makes me think: Instead of putting points into Swords: I should've put points into Unarmed Combat.

I wanted Swords because like most RPG gamers me likey swords, but... Eschalon is not your average CRPG. It requires a different approach.

Nobody tell me what the most powerful weapon is, I'd rather find out for myself.

I suspect it won't be the bow. If I take Bows and Unarmed: well... my fist will never break, to be certain, and I can always resort to that if I'm short of arrows or want to conserve them.

I want to put 4 points into Cartography because anything short of that drives me crazy. In Book 1 always put 4 into Cartography and then worked up from there. I hate hate hate those 2 point maps. They're pathetic. I want better maps, and next level I'm going to want to put my points into more "important" things so for the longest time I'm going to be stuck with crappy maps.

Hmm... .

Alright, so here's my spoiler question for everyone:

Is Lockpicking really all that useful? Is it really worthwhile for someone who's not playing a Rogue and therefore wants to act like a Rogue?

Spot Hidden was also always important to me at the start of every adventure in Book I. But... no room for it in this game.

In this game: Medicine looks attractive. But... no room for it, it seems... unless it's really helpful? Yes? No? You may spoiler me on this. You all have my permission.

Repair also looks attractive. But that'll have to wait.

So here's what I think I'll do:

2 Light Armor
2 Bows
2 Unarmed
4 Cartography

Sure, it might seem extravagant to put 4 whole points at the beginning into Cartography while skimping on the "useful" skills... sure I could get Repair or Medicine and be a more capable lvl1 character... but I hate crappy maps.

I really do.

Anyone who feels like it: tell me what you think. Say I sacrificed a point in armor, bows & unarmed to buy another skill, or say I sacrificed 3 points in cartography for another skill... which would it be? Which skill is really a must have for the beginning? Spot Hidden?

Because... on his first or second incarnation, Fergys had 1 point in Spot Hidden... as well as very high Perception, to try to make it as if he had an extra point or two... yet he spotted NOTHING hidden. Of course: granted it was only 1 point, that 1 point probably will spot next to nothing, even in lvl1 territory. Still, I'm thinking: not highly useful at the beginning in Book II, not as much as it was in Book I... I'm sure later on I should make sure to have it.

I could very well be wrong. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am.

Anyway...

By the way... who the hell's idea was it to put in all these arrow-resistant rats at the beginning? I mean... BW! Rats! Really? Rats that take 2 or 3 arrows to bring down? Rats? I mean... even the biggest rat is smaller than an arrow. Virtually speaking. In real life: is it really going to take 3 arrows to put down a rat?

I suppose if you're not very good with a bow... but if you've got 1 point in Bows... ostensibly you've got a fair amount of training in how to effectively use a bow.

You don't even need a heart-shot to bring it down. Hitting it in the lungs will do... the head: goner. How hard can it be to bring down a rat with an arrow?

Seems to me it's probably easier than bringing down a rat with a knife.

Or... for that matter: with your fists.

Imagine punching a rat to death?

Would you have to get down on your knees to do it? Or would you lie down, or would the rat have to climb up on top of something, like, say, the branch of a tree, or the top of a fence?

With a sword: easy work. One stab and the job is done. No way a rat can survive a stab with a sword. Instant kill.

At least: in reality.

Not as easy as that with an arrow, but still... even if you aimed really poorly and hit it in the butt... this rat would still be pinned to the ground and wouldn't be able to attack.

I mean... come on. BW??!!

Sigh... I should've beta-tested it.

I know, I know... I couldn't. I was busy at the time. Couldn't do it.

Sigh... .

By the way: one part of the theme music reminds me of a song... what the heck song is it. Not a Cranes song. ...Dammit, this happens to me all the time. Female singer, what band? What song... sigh... . Well, it'll pop up eventually.

I do like how the music is a new take on the original theme. Nice that it makes that connection and asserts that 'continuation' or 'sequel' sort of mindset.

OH... Black Heart Procession! From their album Three, I think. So... male voice, not female voice. That's always the first identifying factor I go for for a song I'm trying to recall, and I'm always right about it, it's not something you ever get wrong... and yet this time I was completely wrong. In front of everyone on the Eschalon forums.

Well, whatever. I'm not embarrassed.

If I get embarrassed I can always edit it out. Yep, Yep.

EDIT: Now I've got a Broadcast song in my head.

EDIT #2: Strange: This is of course not the first time that theme song has reminded me of Black Heart Procession, yet I keep forgetting... of course, I haven't gone into the game very many times, so far... and moreover: I tend to turn the music off at a certain point when I'm starting a new character, especially if I'm listening to other music... the character-creation game music gets annoying after a little while. Sorry, nothing negative against the music... it's just... for me it's not long-term material.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Having more than one level in light armor doesn't really help.

If you can afford to wait until Port Kuudad then you can train in cartography and save the skill points for later.

Concentrate on a fighting skill to get a feat. Once you get one then you can branch out. Brawler's ring will give you unarmed combat if all you want is to bash down doors and barrels.

Lock picking is nice for a little experience, but you need about 12 to 15 to really be able to do the higher difficulty doors. Still there are plenty of places to loot where a noisy bashing down a door will get you noticed by the town guards. :)

If you have high perception (30 or more) than you don't need spot hidden, otherwise get it for traps and looting all the hidden gems in the Farrock Caves.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Lock picking is pretty good. You don't necessarily need to bash things you can't open - either just use more picks, or come back later when you have higher skill.

Repair is also good, but perhaps less than you think right now. Later on, higher quality equipment will last longer. Also, just one or two points is sufficient for most uses, and there are items that give you that.

General consensus on this forum is that it's not useful to take more than one point in an armor skill. Nor is there much point to either the meditation or medicine skills - you're better off with perception or endurance instead.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Randomizer wrote:Having more than one level in light armor doesn't really help.
Note that this is probably true for primarily 'ranged'-characters, but would not be true for melee-fighters - as every Level in Light (or Heavy) Armor will knock down enemies' ToHit scores by 2%...

But, if your Ranger is primary 'ranged', then, yeah. :)